Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Bon Voyage Ventura, Hello Santa Barbara Island

Bon Voyage!!!
Striking a pose on a steep cliff
Mark in his Necky on the way to the pier
The kayak I just leaped out of....on the left are the sealions


Well we finally did get the Watermaker and set sail around 2pm on a perfect windy and sunny afternoon. We sailed the first three hours and grinned from ear to ear as we drank champagne and toasted the glorious day and our luck at the opportunity to have such an adventure.

9 hours later we arrived at Santa Barbara Island in the dark and anchored to the sound of thousands of moaning and barking sealions. The hike around the island is about 4 miles so the next day Mark packed a lunch and we set off in our kayaks to land on the pier. My new kayak (i call her scarlett) is a sit on top, the landing was a little surgey for my taste but I managed to make it. I guess I am still getting my kayak-leg. As I landed I was surrounded by about 400 very curious and boisterous sealions. I have never climbed a ladder so fast in my entire life. Mark assured me they were harmless and after being on land and seeing them cuddling together like puppies I have to agree with him. It was all the echos and gutteral moaning the freaked me out.
Above are some pictures from the Island. Next stop, Santa Catalina then San Diego.

No comments: