Monday, September 15, 2008

Candles of New Zealand

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” Buddha Finding work in a different country has been an interesting practice in patience. I have found that my old job in the non profit world doesn't quite exist here in New Zealand, well not in our little beach town anyway. So while I am looking for that "real" job I have been keeping busy. For the last three weeks I have been working for a local couple who own a hand made candle business. They are fairly new to the game but doing well. This is where I came in. I helped their candle maker Harpal, with everything from getting them ready to pour to getting them cleaned up and shipped out. An interesting thing to learn and certainly a beautiful place to be. The "factory" itself is an old kiwi packhouse, so it is surrounded by groves of avocado trees and kiwi orchards. My favorite are the pyramid candles. They are gorgeous, but not the most practical thing on a boat. Still I have quite a collection. Pyramid molds, like a bunch of old Chianti bottles
Liz & Harpal self-portrait
I wish this picture would have turned out better, she pours the wax and her cover-alls up close are reminiscent of a fabulous Elvis jumpsuit
This thing sounds alive with it's hissing and bubbling

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a brilliant job to me much better than being stuck in front of a computer all day :-) Those candles are lovely. That's xmas presents sorted for you then LOL. Do they ship overseas or have a website?
Love Sarah xx