Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tramping Abel Tasman

As the fantastic weather continued, we found ourselves heading west to Nelson and the Abel Tasman National Park. Nelson is known for it's fruit growing, wineries and artist community. We spent a night in Neslon before arriving in Kaiteriteri ,which is a small community located just south of the southern part of Abel Tasman National Park. Abel Tasman runs for 51 Km along a coastal path. There are various ways to hike the trail depending on time and inclination. Since we were short on time we decided to take the water taxi route. All day long water taxis run from the surrounding communities to different trail heads and beaches within the park. We chose to do a five hour section, starting at Tonga Bay and ending at Anchorage. It was a wonderful hike and I only wish we would have been able to do the whole thing.
We stayed in nearby Kaiteriteri, and exposed Mark's sister Brenda to a quintessential part of Kiwi life, the holiday park. Mark and I slept in a tiny bunk bed cabin and Brenda in the van. There are no quiet beaches to camp on in New Zealand this time of year. Summer holidays had everyone out in force trying to get the most out of the summer weather. The beach at Kaiteriterisun worshippers, well me not so much
Where in world are we?

Brenda and I heading to the water taxi All aboard the water taxis
Brenda crosses the bouncy bridge A most popular place, the ice cream and sweets stand



Our mini cabin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi you two, the pictures are wonderful It makes me with I had time and money to come hang with you I finished my classes and am waiting for my program to start, a four year wait! I started looking for work and hope to be back in the salt mines by mid march or april, its tough times right now. You both take care and love you: Lane