Monday, March 20, 2006

Crocodile Rock



Yes that is a crocodile! Yes that is our boat! On the way to Ixtapa I read in one of our cruising books that the marina is no good for swimming (but really no one would swim in a marina on purpose anyway) because of the crocs. We arrived on Monday and spent 5 days skeptically looking for these creatures. Friday afternoon I was in the galley when I heard Mark yelling from the dock.....the following is part of his log for the day.

March 17th ,St Paddys Day
Did I say that the crocodiles were elusive? They may have been.. up until today. The first two we saw on the bike ride through the reserve were behind fences and docile to the point of booooooring.
The third one was tantalizingly close off the docks here in the marina and there was nothing between him and I save for ten feet of water. He was a stout 8 or 9 footer and so incredibly primevil and frightening. We ,that is, the neighbors on White Swan, Liz and I threw some meat chunks at him as he was 3 feet away off the stern of our boat. These he snapped at but didn't seem to grasp. As I shook the head of the deck brush in the water nearby, however , he turned and purposely pursued a straight erie deadly line of attack. He was big and fat and his Stegosaurus like blades and appendages were other worldly. When I touched him on the tail as he was floating away he turned again and went straight for our auxiliary rudder and rammed it with an insolent thud before backing away and looking for more tasty morsels.. Unforgettable...

1 comment:

nigelthecat said...

Holy Crocodile! I bet that was so neat and erie to see! I was just watching this show with the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin the other day! How ironic. Stay out of the water unless your name is Steve!! Take care!
Kinses